The list of online services provided here is a comprehensive one that can apply to many local government websites, including those of Australian councils. However, it’s important to note that the specific services offered by your Tasmanian council websites can vary depending on the council’s size, local areas, and the unique needs of its community & business.
Australian councils & Tasmanian council websites often offer many of the services mentioned in our list, but they may also include services specific to the Australian context, such as information on tourism, local wildlife, bushfire alerts, and details related to Indigenous communities if applicable.
Moreover, the extent to which these services are available online can vary. Some councils may have more advanced and interactive websites with a wide range of online services, while others may have simpler websites that provide fundamental information and services.
Hence, while the list we provided is comprehensive, it’s crucial for each council to tailor its online services to the particular needs and preferences of its community. Therefore, it might not be an exhaustive list for every Australian council, but it can serve as a valuable starting point for designing a council website that caters to the needs of tourists, residents and businesses.
Our portfolio includes council websites like Devonport City Council and Waratah Wynyard Council, demonstrating our experience in creating tailored online platforms. These websites offer a range of services, reflecting the diverse needs of Tasmanian council websites and their communities. We aim to provide effective, user-friendly online resources for residents, tourists, and businesses.
What’s essential content for your Tasmanian council website?
- About the Council
- Contact Information
- Office Hours and Locations
- Council News and Updates
- Mayor and Council Members’ Profiles
- Recreation and Events Calendar
- Parks and Facilities Information
- Local Community Groups and Organizations
- Emergency Services Information
- Public Transportation Information
- Residential Permits and Licences
- Waste Collection and Recycling Schedules
- Housing and Property Information
- Noise Complaints and Reporting
- Community Health Services
- Business Registration and Licensing
- Economic Development Resources
- Information for Entrepreneurs
- Business Grants and Incentives
- Zoning and Land Use Information
Online Payments and Forms
- Rates Payments
- Utility Bill Payments
- Parking Ticket Payments
- Online Forms for Various Services
- Fee Payments for Permits and Licences
Governance Meetings and Documents
- Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Public Records and Document Archives
- Meeting Live Streaming or Recordings
- Boards and Committees Information
- Open Data Portal
Planning and Development
- Planning and Zoning Information
- Development Application Submissions
- Building Inspection Scheduling
- Land Use and Development Plans
- Historic Preservation Information
Transportation and Infrastructure
- Road and Street Maintenance Updates
- Public Transportation Schedules and Routes
- Report Potholes and Street Issues
- Traffic Alerts and Road Closures
- Infrastructure Projects and Updates
Health and Safety
- Public Health Advisories
- Emergency Preparedness Information
- Fire Department Services
- Police Department Information
- Non-Emergency Reporting
Education and Libraries
- Library Services and Catalog
- School Information and Resources
- Educational Programs and Workshops
- Adult and Continuing Education
- Recycling and Waste Reduction Tips
- Environmental Programs and Initiatives
- Water Conservation Information
- Air Quality and Pollution Updates
- Green Initiatives and Sustainability Resources
Cultural and Arts Resources
- Cultural Events and Exhibitions
- Arts Grants and Funding Opportunities
- Cultural Heritage Information
- Local Museums and Galleries
- Performing Arts and Theater Schedules
Online Surveys and Feedback
- Resident Feedback Surveys
- Public Opinion Polls
- Feedback Forms for Services
- Suggestions and Complaints Submission
- Information for Individuals with Disabilities
- Accessible Facilities and Services
- Requesting Accommodations
- Welfare Assistance and Programs
- Senior Services and Programs
- Youth Services and Activities
- Mental Health Resources
- Substance Abuse and Addiction Services
- Multi-Language Translation Services
- Information in Indigenous Languages if applicable
- Accessible Formats for Documents
Productive features for consideration with your council website?
Our Tasmanian council websites have also considered and implemented some of the below;
- Online Chat or Help Desk: Provide a live chat feature or help desk for immediate assistance and inquiries.
- Online Forms and Applications: Streamline processes for various permits, licences, and applications by allowing residents to submit them online.
- Economic Development Resources: Offer resources for local businesses, including information on incentives, grants, and business development programs.
- Community Engagement Tools: Provide tools for residents to engage with local government, such as forums, discussion boards, and feedback mechanisms.
- GIS Mapping: Interactive maps for property information, zoning, parks, and other geographical data.
- Emergency Alerts: Allow residents to sign up for emergency alerts and notifications.
- Social Media Integration: Links to the council’s social media profiles for news and updates.
- FAQs and Knowledge Base: A section with frequently asked questions and informative articles to assist residents.
- Aesthetic and User-Friendly Design: Ensure the website is visually appealing, easy to navigate, and mobile-responsive.
- Accessibility Compliance: Ensure the website complies with accessibility standards to accommodate all users.
- Privacy and Security: Implement robust security measures to protect user data and privacy.
- Feedback Mechanism: Provide a way for users to report issues or offer suggestions for website improvement.
- Language Localisation: If applicable, offer the website in multiple languages to serve a diverse community.
- Search Functionality: Include a robust search feature to help users find information quickly.
A council website should aim to provide a wide range of online services to meet the needs of its residents and facilitate efficient communication and interaction with the local government, and their Tasmanian council websites.
Here’s a comprehensive list of online services that Tasmanian council websites have considered offering when working with us:
A well-designed council website with all/some of these online services can greatly enhance communication between the local government and its residents, promote transparency, and streamline access to essential services and information.
Thank you for your interest in our website and, specifically, this post. Below, you’ll find an absolutely free downloadable council website checklist. You are welcome to use it as a starting point for your internal discussions regarding your council website. Kickstart your planning process.
No email address or contact details are required.